Coming Soon - Bad Dragon David the Werewolf, Bad Dragon Dolphin, Je Joue Ami, Mello Wave Japanese Vibrator, Bad Dragon Tailstretcher Dildo, Melon Pure Lotion

11 April, 2011

Review - Burning Desire Massage Candle Set @ Babeland

Babeland's Burning Desire massage candle set is the first massage candle I've ever used. I have mixed feelings about it.  Although it would make an elegant and tasteful gift, it did not work for me personally.

Photo of Burning Desire SetPhoto of Burning Desire Set

The set is elegantly packaged, mostly in French, although all the essential English is there (also, the included directions are in quite a number of languages).  The Burning Desire set includes a 1.7 oz candle in a black painted clay holder having some decent heft to it (and a cheap but effective plastic cap to keep the candle clean), a pack of plenty of matches, and 2 "invisible love cards".  Also some hysterically overblown directions - YESforLOV invites you to the dance of pleasure, your hands tend me like precious embers, awaken the magic, etc.  Some eco-conscious people might consider the packaging wastefully elaborate.

Be really careful with the matches, they burn quickly!  Even after blowing one out, the wood was still red for a second.  I recommend lighting the candle some place more flame-resistant, like the bathroom counter, and throwing the used match someplace also flame-resistant, or wetting it down thoroughly first.

I decided to try out the set with a post-coital massage for my man.  The instructions say to light the candle for 10 minutes and then pour into your hand or directly onto your partner.  I am not sure if it's because it's still a little chilly, and so the container was a bit cold and could possibly have worked against the melting, but it actually took more than 20 minutes for the candle to melt to my satisfaction.  However, YMMV.  Somewhat to my surprise, I believe there are at least 3 "servings" of oil in this candle, so you can get more than one use out of it.  You definitely have enough to that you can both give each other a generous full-body massage if you want, at the very least.  To be clear, even with waiting about twice as long as the directions advised, the candle still only melted down about an inch or a little less, so you would have to melt some, then pour, then wait again, and so forth.

While the candle was burning, we both tried out the cards, which did not say anything particularly interesting, IMO, but the cards themselves were fun, you had to wave them over the flame slowly, and pretty close to the flames, while the messages slowly appeared.  Shortly after taking them away from the fire, they went opaque again, so read fast!  It was an interesting novelty, but I wish the set came with more cards, and that the messages were more specific, maybe some sex tips or positions to try, rather than something "romantic".

Also, a little goes a long way with this oil, which was extremely thick and greasy.  It definitely feels a little like candle wax even after it is totally melted.  I am more accustomed to thin, oily massage oils, so this was a bit startling to me, and I have concerns that this massage oil could provoke acne.  I would recommend not leaving it on and planning on taking a shower within a couple of hours of using this oil, if you have acne-prone skin.  If you don't have sensitive skin, you might like that this oil is so emollient and rich.

There was no problem with pouring the oil on my partner as soon as I blew out the flame, it cools down almost instantly and never got very hot.  It is not super-drippy, thick enough to only puddle and run down a little, though I put down a towel to be cautious.

My man seemed impressed with the massage oil, he liked the subtly musky, sexy unisex scent, which was not too overpowering (he hates strong scents).  It is not a girly scent at all.  I myself think it is a unique and sexy scent, and the thing about this set that I most enjoyed.

He stated that it felt like my hand movements were magnified for the first few minutes, which felt really amazing, and then the effect diminished over time as the oil cooled more and dried out a little.  It was not the kind of oil that feels more slippery with massaging, rather it becomes harder to work with and you become aware of how thick it is.  I think this oil is best suited to a slow, leisurely, sensual massage, rather than a vigorous one.

On my part, it oil washed off my hands fairly easily, although the scent lingered on quite strongly even afterward.  My guy said he had to scrub a little with soap to get it off, and it wasn't super easy but not very troublesome either.

Ultimately, I give the Burning Desire Set a 3/5, this product did not quite suit my preferences,  I felt like I had to struggle to make it a good massage because it was a little too thick and didn't spread well over time, and the set seems like a somewhat poor value for someone on a budget.  I would prefer more traditional massage oil for giving massages.  Also, I would prefer a real candle that burns just a little bit hotter, if I wanted to enjoy some wax play.  I enjoyed trying out this product, however, and I'm sure it would suit other people a lot more than myself.  The set would be great for someone looking for an indulgent, romantic gift, who loves the "cheesy" kind of language all over this set, or who would enjoy very "safe" wax play, or who really enjoys getting or giving slow, deep massages.


Babeland's Best!  Shop our 20th Anniversary collection of game-changing sex toys that make getting off sexier, sweeter and completely satisfying.

I may follow up later from the flipside, with me getting the massage and him giving it.


Disclaimer - This product was provided to me as a Babeland Affiliate. However, all my reviews are completely thoughtful and honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment